Monday, December 27, 2004

Quote

I'm stealing a quote from Jess's blog.

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."
- Edgar Watson Howe

I have no idea who the crap Edgar Watson Howe is, but I'm indebted to him for stating it so clearly. Good music does make me feel homesick (although not all of it. And causing homesickness is not the only measure of what makes good music). It makes me feel homesick for something I've never had, never knew I was missing, and probably never will have. I say probably never because I might someday. If I don't know exactly what it is that I'm missing, I don't know for sure that I'll never have it. Who knows? I'm inclined to think that what we feel so homesick for might be a bit of eternitiy. That would be cool, because then we'll get it eventually.

Yep, those are my thoughts for today. I'm inclined to think they're rather starved-looking, and very few.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, somebody once said something about that...Lewis or somebody...about the longing you get sometimes from, say, good music or good fiction...something about the eventual fulfillment of that longing, something about how it is a longing for a realer, better reality. Can't remember it now. If I run across it again I'll...probably forget to tell you. But my intentions are good. So yeah.
--Liz
P.S. Starved-looking thoughts. Nice way of putting it.

Mackenzie said...

Thanks. They do seem to be a little malnourished lately though. If you do remember who talked about it and where, try to remember to tell me. Maybe I'll pester you until you remember. = )

Captain Shar said...

Try Sheldon Vanauken's "A Severe Mercy," C. S. Lewis's "The Pilgrim's Regress," "Mere Christianity," "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader," or "The Last Battle."

Captain Shar said...

Oh, or "The Great Divorce."