Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Wash Your Hands

Well, that's it. My last day of official classes is over with. I wash my hands of it. Well, almost. Finals are so close....

I've been thinking a lot about the amazing grace involved in being unimportant. I'm not sure how to express what I mean, so maybe I should stop there. I could try a little poetry, I could try a little song. I could try a little writing, but honestly... if you don't already know what I'm talking about I don't think I'd be able to communicate it. It's just this incredibly close emotional thing I've been carrying around, and I'm not sure what it is or what it means, or why. It's just sort of there, making my life a little more interesting.

I've been fighting with tears a lot lately too. I catch a snatch of song, and I start tearing up. I hear someone who's impassioned speaking, and I have to try my hardest not to cry. I see something beautiful and - well, you get the idea. I'm not sure if it's because I'm stressed and tired, or because it's the end of the semester and everything is changing. You know that feeling - or I hope some of you do. Familiar things become tearjerkers when you know they won't happen any more for a very long time, possible ever. So I'm crying, but at the same time, it's more because I've been pierced with joy, and I don't know how to say how happy I am and how much I've loved this past year, except in some wordless, primitive way.

I got my Life Fatness grades back today, and I passed with a good bit to spare. I wish I could transfer that superfluous credit into some other class where I really need it. But I still think I have a fighting chance, so ... here goes! I wash my hands of indifference, the need for sleep, and procrastination (I can do that later), and dive into finals!

Oh, and other exciting news: today's my parents' 25th anniversary. They left this morning for a week long vacation, after which they'll come to pick me up and we'll all head home. I feel like I should say something really profound, or at least very congratulatory, but again the whole "I-don't-have-words" factor comes into play. I can't imagine my life without them (for good reason - I wouldn't exist without them), and I can't imagine not having them together and married, and our household functioning pretty much as it always has. So... Thanks Mom & Dad? You dosed me with all the stability I'll ever need to succeed. = D Enjoy your trip!

No comments: