Monday, May 30, 2005

Care-ott

Care-ott does so rhyme with gare-ott. You just have to pronounce it right. [sticks tongue out at screen] So there.

Today Avery is officially 14! Well, his birthday was actually the 16th, but we celebrated it today. I'm glad he waited to have his party. I kinda felt like I didn't miss his birthday.

Mm... Tomorrow is my first day of biology class, and I have a million things I need to do (like picking up a parking permit, finding the building and the classroom, picking up a notebook from the store, making my lunch, waking Avery up before I leave, and trying to remember how the crap to get places). It's also my second day of work, and the first day that patients will be there. Whoopee. Phone duty and pulling charts. Exciting. Ah well. Those of you who know me well will recall my previous trepidation in the face of phone calls. I literally had to be forced to make phone calls, even to my friends. Now I'm a receptionist-type-person who talks to people and is polite and makes phone calls. And who wears grown-up clothes. Ah how the mighty have fallen! No, I actually feel like I've vanquished some ghosts or other. Or am at long last approaching real adulthood rather than the play-adulthood/childhood twilight in which I currently frolic. I think I'm glad for that, as long as I don't get know-it-all-itis or forget how to be random and impulsive. I at least feel like I can cope in the world now, more or less. I could at least begin to.

It's so weird - I feel so different being at home, but on the surface I feel like all our relations are going on pretty much the same as they always have. I just feel different underneath my skin. Sort of fizzling with... I'm not sure. But I'm fizzling with something. It could be tiredness. I do have to get up at 6 am tomorrow, so I think I'd better hit the sack. Au revoir my friends.

Absence makes the heart grow stronger
Or fonder I can't quite remember
Anyway

4 comments:

Liz said...

Good luck at work!

And is the last bit poetic or something, or is it an actual question? 'Cause the saying is actually fonder.

Mackenzie said...

It's a sort-of quote from a Jars of Clay song. It's actually "The wait will make the heart grow stronger / or fonder I can't quite remember / Anyway." I just bastardized it for my own sinister purposes.

I like Liz's quote on the whole subject: "Absence makes the heart grow fungus." Yep, that's a good one.

Andrew said...

Grr.

Garrot.

Grr.

Mackenzie said...

It so does rhyme, if you only pronounce carrot the right way.

And the Jars of Clay song is from Who We Are Instead, I think track #1, Sunny Days.