Saturday, July 15, 2006

it gives me the humorous vegetables

My mother's newest theory is this: I should marry the owner of a coffee shop so that I can always have unlimited access to excellent coffee drinks. She theorizes that I should post a want ad on my blog for any owners of excellent coffee shops who are also single, within ten years of my age (presumably older, since ten years younger than me is 9), and don't mind being married for their material possessions. Any takers? = D

Has anyone seen the movie "Unbreakable"? With um... bruce willis? And some famous other actor? Samuel.... um... played mace windu? Jackson? Samuel L Jackson? Maybe? S'kinda tense. And also full of dialogue, and slow development, which my family complains of. But we're not at the end yet. I'm tense. It's a tense movie. Maybe I haven't been steeped in enough superhero tales, but it's hard to project the plotline. This one dude has all the markings of being a great villain, but we're like an hour and a half into the movie and he's still not a villain. Weird, eh? Anyway.

Edit: Oooookay. So. I got to the end of the movie without combusting. And actually, I really liked it. Dad thought there wasn't much punch until the end. But I think it drew the punch back beautifully. And then, to my surprise, I find out it was directed by M. Night Shyamalan, who I'd sworn to loathe forever (I was disappointed with The Village. And Stuart Little. Did you know he directed Stuart Little? So says IMBD.). He faced quite a dilemma with the last thirty seconds of the movie though. He chose to tie up loose ends. In my opinion, he should've left those thirty seconds off, but, realistically, if he had, I'd probably be yelling about unresolved plotlines. = ) I think you guys should watch it. Really (although I can't vouch for the beginning of the movie, because I missed it).

"I didn't paraphrase! I alluded to it! It's fun to use learning for evil!

5 comments:

Liz said...

That movie IS tense. And dark, did you notice that? (As in, not very lit most of the time.)

Andrew McAllister said...

I liked the whole "quiet strength" thing, which bruce willis seems good at.

brenderlin said...

Actually, he WROTE stuart little, he didn't direct.

And the main problem I heard that people had with the movie is that it really has no third act. The third act being where the tension is released, the set-up is paid off, and there's resolution to the story. I haven't seen the film, but from everything I've heard, it's ALL tension and buildup, and there really isn't anything that's done with it.

But hey, that's just my $0.02.

Mackenzie said...

It was originally created as the first of three movies. Supposedly he took the first act of a superhero whatnot and just stretched it to movie length. So yeah, it's lacking a third act. And a second.

Mackenzie said...

And also, I cannot actually take credit for my blog titles. They're all quotes from things I've been reading or listening to lately.

I wish he'd made all three movies.