Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Lost

I have decided that getting lost is my life metaphor. Yesterday, on the way to pick up the kids from school, I got screaming, screeching, turn-around-five-times-wish-you-had-a-cell-phone-and-a-Pennsylvania-map-
or-at-least-a-passenger-so-I'd-have-to-stay-calm-burst-into-tears-at-the-
thought-of-the-kids-waiting-for-me-to-come-pick-them-up-not-knowing-
where-I-am-or-even-if-I'm-coming-pray-desperately-to-God-for-guidance
-or-a-bus-to-follow-anything!-help!-apologize-five-times LOST.

Yes, that is extremely lost. And it seems, in some crazy way, to mirror my life. I'm always wandering around in this insane haze, hoping to God I don't stumble off a cliff or into a pack of Dobermans, and then amazed by his mercy when I stumble onto a paved road instead - even if I can't see more than two feet of it through the fog of confusion.

Then, I got lost trying to find Kaitlin's room last night. Then, today, in IGDPS, I got lost in Adobe Illustrator and barely escaped with my life. I told Professor Kasperak that I felt as if I was floundering in some alien sea trying to figure out how to compose type-and-only-type. He laughed. I suppose it was kind of funny to get so melodramatic in the middle of class about typography. And, I've been told, I'm extremely funny when I'm mad. So maybe I'm also extremely funny when I'm lost.

It's sort of interesting. Sometimes, when I feel lost, like when I need to make a decision about course registration or something equally confusing, it's odd how the answer is staring me in the face. I go through all this turmoil, weighing every option, tearing myself to pieces trying to make a decision, but when I really look completely honestly at the problem, the answer has sort of always been there. I don't always particularly like the answer, but I know what it is. And I feel, if not at peace, at least decided. It's been resolved.

Drumroll please!

Messiah is celebrating the inauguration of our new president this week. Kim S Phipps (I hope I spelled that right) is now the Eighth Messiah College President and the first female ever to hold that office. They're having a make-your-own-ice-cream-sundae gathering tonight for the students. I'm not sure if I'll go or not. I want to, but I may end up working on my presentation with Kelsey.

To which Alexander replied, "If I wasn't Alexander, I would want to be Diogenes!"

Goodnight all, goodnight.

No comments: