Tuesday, January 23, 2007

"whoa, are you next gen.? 'cause your graphics are totally awesome."

- Avery & Matthew's attempt at inventing the geekiest pickup line ever.

Alternate title for this post: "somebody's told me it's gonna take patience."

One good thing about Alabama: gas is under $2! Yes, you heard me! Yesterday when I drove back from Madison, gas was $1.93! It's like a flashback to the innocent days of my youth....

Possibly the reason I'm making no progress on my rewrite of the dragon lady is that I am irrationally OK with life right now. Not sure quite what I'm basking in, but I feel like I'm basking in the light of something. Maybe it's enough sleep and good food and good books and the interwebs.

Also, I have discovered that when I'm getting enough sleep, I have really vivid dreams (that I actually remember). This morning it was something like a mix between Super Mario (you know, breaking blocks with your head) and Diana Wynne Jones books.

As I'm working with Avery on his research paper, I find myself wanting to say, "Just put some effort into it and your life will be cake." Do you think Daniel Finch has that copyrighted? Am I cheating if I use his turn of phrase? Or if I start crits with Avery by saying, "OK, talk to me. What are you thinking?" Pretty sure my urge to use those phrases is just a function of me wanting to grow up and teach exactly half like Daniel Finch (the other half will preferably be exactly like Professor Perrin).

Wouldn't it be interesting if someday I was a professor and Daniel Finch or Professor Perrin came to visit my class, and I was using their style or phrasing? Pretty sure that would be awkward. They might think I was mocking them. So you have to help me invent my own unique phrasing. And style, although I'm pretty sure most professors have a sort of indeterminate syle.

You know, I'll tell you something about this semester. It boosted my art confidence a bit. I no longer feel like I'm a much better writer than I am an artist (although I still might have a bit of a writing edge), and I'm no longer certain that once out of college I have absolutely no chance of getting accepted for an art grad school program or finding an art job. I'm cautiously optimistic, due in large part to Andy Bale. So... thank you, Andy Bale?

Also, I have had too much caffeine this morning. So if I have spelled things terribly wrong, it's just because the caffeine is making my typing skills a little unwieldy.

Also, I have slightly elevated cholesterol. Who knew? I thought that was something only middle-aged or old people had to worry about.

1 comment:

Captain Shar said...

I think you should use funny hand motions and say "woot woot" and reference cookies instead of cake.