Friday, January 26, 2007

a shrewdness of apes

Whoa! I so totally started learning Italian today! I can now say, buon giorno, buon sera, buon notte, and mi chiama Mackenzie. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to pronounce any of that. Um... or spell most of it, actually.

My Italian address is going to be:

[my name], Gordon College Program
Insituto San Ludovico
Piazza Ranieri 5
05018 Orvieto, TR
ITALY

If you want to write to me, I would love it. If not, then that's OK too.

I think I have officially hit the freaking-out period for the Italy trip. There's a lot to get done and a lot to prepare for before I leave. Also, I've never traveled internationally by myself before. Does anyone know if they repeat announcemenets on international flights in English? I'd hate to miss my connection flight from Amsterdam to Rome because I don't speak Italian or Dutch. Also, do airports in Italy have the same kind of luggage-collection system once you get there? Are the signs for the exits etc. in English as well as Italian? Where do I meet the Orvieto person? Aaaaahhhhhhh!

Also, what if I'm not competent to go grocery-shopping those first couple of days when I'm there? What if I don't know the right words? What if I offend the nuns? What if I have a nervous breakdown? What if. . . .

6 comments:

Captain Shar said...

Eh, foreigners usually speak English. Just ask somebody.

Faux LeRoy said...

Things will work out, trust me. They may seem stressful now but in a few weeks you'll be all settled in and all of the fears and concerns will seem far off in the past. Buon Fortuna!

Anonymous said...

1. Yay on learning Italian! Remember: the Italians are not like the French. If you try, they'll adore you (unlike the French, who mock you either way).

2. I promise I will write you at least once a week, even if it's only a postcard. I'll try to send prints of C'est la Vie or Postsecret or whatever.

3. Yes, they repeat announcements in English. Remember flying the Channel from Heathrow to Charles de Gaulle? Or maybe, actually, don't remember that. That was a pretty awful flight. Remember flying from Madrid to Heathrow?

4. Luggage-collection systems are basically the same all over the world. Airports are more universal than potties.

5. All foreigners speak English, because their countries actually tend to their educations. Signs are usually in English, if not, you will be happily directed with many arm motions and smiles.

6. No idea where you meet the Orvieto person.

8. (I don't like the number 7 right now.) They won't let you starve.

9. I'm sure the nuns have seen worse. You're a good kid, and you want to go to vespers and whatnot, right? They'll totally respect that.

10. I expressly forbid nervous breakdowns. Unless it's on a weekend and you don't really have anything else to do; then it's okay. But if you let things get to be too much, I will send you The Pink Slippers. And you will laugh so much, the nervous breakdown will get scared and hide in a corner until some kind nun rescues it and turns it into a tasty salad dressing for all the other nuns. Heck, that sounds like a good idea. Expect The Pink Slippers!

PS. or 12. I forget. I miss you. And I got my coat and my present and HOLY COW thank you so much!!! It's beautiful! And it was the one I picked out of your portfolio and said I liked. It's going above my bed. Or, if it wouldn't damage the frame, in my car, where I actually spend the majority of my time. Either way. It's amaaaazing.

PPS. or 15. Guess who this is. I'm not telling. You canot trase us. You canot find us. Sinserely, Calvin.

Mackenzie said...

If I knew the right response to "buon fortuna," I would respond. = ) But thanks. I'm just not gonna think about it too much, and hope it will be amaaaaaazing.

Faux LeRoy said...

Just say grazie and smile, that can get you out of numerous cultural scrapes '~'

Mackenzie said...

ALSO JENN YOU ARE AMAZING! haha. "airports are more universal than potties."

And actually, I don't remember a THING about flying to France except that I was really tired and hated the movies and was nervous about going with your school when I didn't know anyone but you.

I'm really glad you like the photo, also. You know those ice cream cakes with photos on them? and the photo is edible? we should invent one of those for your car windows, and it would be decorative and then if you're ever caught in a snow storm you could eat it and not starve! Wooh! = )