Tuesday, January 30, 2007

the crescent moon is rising slow

So I've been thinking how weird it would be to be related to a writer. Or married to a writer (where you're sort of related, but not exactly). Particularly if the writer is a writer of non-fiction or poetry, they'd feel the urge to write about all the important family things, even some of the more intimate things that frankly, family members might rather not be discussed with the public. Like what if you went through a divorce with a writer? And the writer wrote about it? Everyone who read those books or poems would know the writer's version of the story, and it's bound to be unflattering to the other party.

And, let's face it, family members who have inside knowledge would have different visceral reactions to hearing certain stories or incidents retold. They might not understand where the author is getting their opinion, or they might be hurt that the author chose to retell this particular thing - maybe even twist it completely out of context, because writers do that. That's one of the first things you learn in college - get over worrying if it's true or not. You wrote it down, it becomes art, so it's a completely different artifact from the experience which occasioned it. If the story works better when you change the details, then you should change the details.

So how does an author draw from the important experiences of life, but still protect the privacy of their family? It's an interesting question. And it introduces a disconnect. Which should give way in any given situation? Your work or your family? Which has more value? Isn't it stereotypical that the families of writers never read their work? Maybe that's why. But that's a disconnect too. 'Cause every kid wants their family to be proud of them. Obviously, I'm not married, so I can't say how it is with a spouse, but I'd imagine that having a spouse value your work is also important.

Maybe this is why there are so many more fiction writers than creative non-fiction or poetry.

Also, does anyone else experience a sense of severe shock when viewing a picture of an author for the first time? They inevitably look nothing - nothing at all - like their writing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your duck story is carrrazyyy.

And I once read about a writer who rented an office next door to a psychologist's practice. His office and the other guy's were up against each other, so he could listen to what was going on and get plot ideas. I thought that was a bit disturbing. He said that he did it more for inspiration than for direct plot.....

-Ruth

Mateo said...

My aunt is a poet who often incorporates childhood experiences into her poetry. It's a running joke between her and my grandparents about how her recollection of things doesn't match theirs.

I like your post titles, by the way.

(P.S. I'm mkpalos on Xanga. Not sure if I know you otherwise, but I've seen you on the Footprints there.)

Mackenzie said...

Um, thanks. But my post titles mostly come from songs I like or things I've read or crazy things people have said lately. I can't really take credit.

No, I don't know you. I just followed some links and was entertained by your style.