Saturday, December 17, 2005

stop it peter! just because some man in a red coat gives you a sword doesn't make you a hero!

I think that was my favorite moment in the Narnia movie. Everything went right, and, although it wasn't in the book, I felt that it was a good addition, and added greatly to the motivational conflicts within Peter's character. The conflicts which were, unfortunately, poorly gotten over. I think my overall impression is this: good, but falls short of great. It's definitely not a bad movie, but it definitely falls short of great. Still, you should see it.

We got a Christmas tree. It's sort of leaning, but it's beautiful. Mom and I went a little crazy with the lights and decorated the arch between our kitchen, dining room and living room. It looks extremely festive though. There are already mysterious little bulges in the stockings above the fireplace, and I've made one shopping trip. I still need to make at least three more. Avery needs to be taken shopping, and Dad has some stuff he needs to get, and I still need to pick up at least one gift.

It's good to be home. I'm also glad that it's Christmas. It's funny to think how much Christmas has changed for me since I was seven or eight. I remember Christmas really vividly; how exciting the tree was, and the gifts, and how hard I thought about every single one I was going to get and give. And the night before I could hardly sleep! This year especially the gifts seem much less important (though I still put a lot of thought into the ones I'm giving people), the anticipation for the actual day is somewhat lacking. Santa Claus? I never did believe in him. I'm just thankful to be home. People, not presents, make this Christmas good. I tend to just bask in being with my family, rather than do any of the things I usually enjoy, like writing. I played x-box with the boys yesterday and today, and it was pretty hilarious. I suck, of course, but it's still fun. I also find that the spiritual devotion of preparing for Christmas is much more meaningful than the material preparation for Christmas. I'm not sure if I should be glad or sad. Christmas has both deepened and shrunk. It's probably just one of those growing up things that are sort of bittersweet and overly sentimental.

"One gets these presentiments"
- Jeeves
(if you haven't read any P. G. Wodehouse, go check out "Carry On, Jeeves" immediately from your local library. It will help you recover from oversentimentality stemming from the Christmas season.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

whoa. u commented on my blog. that was an interesting surprise!
now ill read urs regualarly, just cuz i get bored like that, lol
anyway, i agree that christmas has totally changed for me too, and im sure it will again next year when i go to college, which i CANNOT WAIT for!