Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Out-Nerded

At dinner tonight, all was going pretty much as usual. Andrew and Matt were arguing about Star Wars things, Liz and Sharon and Michael and I were talking about relatively normal things. I think I was watching the other people at some other table tossing an apple studded with silverware back and forth. Matt and Andrew progress to the subject of the yuuzhan vong and how they're not susceptible to the force, which they thought was dumb, and suddenly, involuntarily, I found myself turning toward them and saying, "Well, actually, they later discover that they're susceptible to the force, just not in any spectrum currently 'visible' to the Jedi."

Yes. I let it slip. My guilty secret has come out. I've read practically every star wars book in existence - at least as of 2002.

Andrew and Matt just sort of stared. "She just out-nerded us!" said Andrew, in sheer shock and disbelief. I don't blame you for being surprised guys. I was kind of surprised myself. Like true star wars geeks (or did you decide you were nerds?) they couldn't quite decide what to ask about first - the plot, or how I knew the plot. They eventually got around to asking both.

I have to admit though, I kind of liked surprising them. It was a good feeling to think that after a school year of acquaintance, I still can spring one on them occaisionally. Even if it is something that, given my amount of knowledge, would technically be classified as nerd-y.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

Bravo. Bravo.

Captain Shar said...

I don't know as much as you do about Star Wars, but do I at least fall into a somewhat decent category for knowing the names of Han and Leah's kids, about the 2nd Luke, and the 3rd rebuilding of the Death Star?