Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Reading List

So I definitely have my reading list for the next four years all planned out. That is, if it doesn't take me four years to get through the first book on the list. = ) It's not a fun reading list - it's a grad school reading list. Yes, that's right. I got a list of books most grad schools expect you to have read. In talking to Professor Perrin it turns out that some universities consider a masters a terminal degree if you're a creative writing person and are published a certain number of times or something while in grad school. So it appears that grad school for English is just as feasible as grad school for Art. She also said something really interesting about choosing which one to go to grad school for - submit my portfolios and see which one gets me in . The only problem would be if I got in with both, but I'm not sure if that'll be an issue or not. This week's books: Boy on the Step by Stanley Plumly (recommended by Prof Perrin), and Dante's Divine Comedy. I may turn out to have a book of the month rather than a book of the week, but we'll see.

Today has definitely been a good day so far. I managed to get up on time, eat, get my lunch, all that good stuff. I went to Form Space and Media, which I was really dreading since I planned on pretty much starting again and working until I came up with something good, however long that was going to take. I didn't care if it took me two weeks without sleep - I wasn't going to turn in something I hated or that I thought wasn't good. However, I started playing around with the cardboard and the first thing I came up with I started liking.... and tweaked it and played with it a little.... and it actually turned out pretty good. Prof Botts, when I asked, said it was "more than decent.... it's actually really strong," and at that moment I felt like dancing around the studio and shouting "Hallelujah! Thank you Jesus!" No tears, surprisingly enough. So the saga of the cardboard models comes to an end... in one hour a solution to a two week old problem. Now I just have to remember enough math to scale the model up and transfer the patterns onto plywood.... and figure out all those angles to sand down to.... But the design is done. Yay!!!

Also, I took my history exam today, so that's over and done with. The vocabulary I knew cold, and I feel like the essay went OK, so I should do alright. Today is going to be spent studying for my anthropology exam tomorrow, which I feel like should be OK. Now that most of the preparation is done, I feel fairly confident (meaning that I'm terrified but there's really nothing further I can do to prepare).

Um.... Yeah. That's about it. I got to come in from class today and cuddle in blankets and warm up (it's cold and rainy here) and I think I'm actually going to make some hot chocolate and read a little bit before I start studying. I have all night after all. So this week is turning out to be much less crazy than I thought it would be, and I should have plenty of time for everything now that Form Space and Media is under control again. I'm investigating Frank Gehry for my FSM paper (I know, I was weirded out that there was a paper too), so I'm thinking maybe I should start investigating him and use one of his works for my Art History paper as well. Just make things easy on myself. = )

Stuck in my head all day: "In the Falling Dark"

5 comments:

jemmo said...

Hi! I don't really have anything to say, I just felt like commenting. So... yeah. :)

Andrew said...

Same here. No real comment.

Mackenzie said...

Hi guys!!!! [waves wildly once again at the computer screen]

Mackenzie said...

Oh... and have an awesome Easter!

Andrew said...

Happy Easter!