Monday, May 22, 2006

some of it is transcendental / and some of it is just really dumb

Shel Silverstein is, apparently, "not so much interested in destroying the status quo as in giving it a poke in the eye." I think that would make a smashing epitaph. Here Lies Shel Silverstein, Beloved By All, and Not So Much Interested In Destroying The Status Quo As In Giving It a Poke In The Eye.

Also, here's a hysterical paragraph I found about Allen Ginsburg:
"Diagnosed by his therapist as 'just an average neurotic,' Ginsberg was the perfect patient, exploring his hidden urges and forcing the country to do so as well. In the early ’50s his therapist encouraged him to quit work, embrace his sexual desires, and write more poems. He concluded his treatment shortly after finishing Part I of 'Howl.' A year later, he was doing readings naked. As the story was told in Life magazine, this began when a man at a reading stood up and asked Ginsberg what he was 'trying to prove,' Ginsberg said, 'Nakedness.' The guy said, 'What d’ya mean, nakedness?' So Ginsberg took off all his clothes."

In semi-relation to that, you should go visit literaryrevolution.com. The organization which created this sight apparently protested the inclusion of Ginsberg's poem "Howl" into the literary canon at a recent reading. That's why it's semi-connected. I'm not sure whether to take it seriously or not. But if it is serious... I think I must be a bad person for laughing so hard at a sincere attempt to save the world.

All right, loves, I guess that's all from this end. Today I done a lot of reading. So maybe I'm getting me some eddymacation (that's education for those of you who don't speak Ridiculous Hick).

No comments: