Friday, May 12, 2006

i got a job, so i can pay for my speeding ticket

and all those other lovely things that come with being alive. I'll be working at Java Jaay's, which is a coffee shop, and it looks like it'll be a pretty cool job. I mean, not amazing or what I want to do with the rest of my life, but pretty cool. We're going to try two weeks and see how it works and then they'll decide if they want to hire me for the rest of the summer, and I'll decide if I want to work there for the rest of the summer. And we'll figure out if this whole employment thing is going to be full- or part-time. I'm just excited for income, and some kind of delineation of my day. You know, this is work-time, and this is not-work-time. It's hard for me to do that creatively. This is writing-time, or this is painting-time. Especially when my computer, which I use to write, is constantly connected to the internet and is full of games and movies that are totally distracting, and I don't differentiate between literal spaces for working creatively and playing. That's one reason I think the studio at school is so great - it's away from distracting things like computers and books, and it's full of other people with artistic insights who are working through the exact same problems you're working through. It's nice.

So, then, I'm going to go work from 10:30-3 tomorrow, start learning the ropes an' all that. And Diane, Tammy, and Blake'll be here over the weekend, and it's mother's day, and all things considered, I didn't take as much veg time as I thought I would. But I think I'm OK with that.

"...still the mind thinks itself
a bank of windows, sheer glinting invitations...."
-Miranda Field, Swallow.

1 comment:

jemmo said...

It's okay. I got a ticket for crashing my car - you are not alone! Out of curiosity, though, how fast were you going?