Monday, May 29, 2006

and now, to make you smile:

Visit kittenwars.

Hi guys. So, it's been a while. Not a lot to report from this end. I don't have to work for the next two days, so I guess I better make shift to do some other productive-type things.

Speaking of productive, people keep telling my mother they hope that I'll 'recover' and have a more productive summer, because I'm only working part-time, so I'm obviously wasting my life away. It made me kinda grumpy. I do work, it's just unconventional work. And I'm not getting paid by the hour for it. But I'm so totally developing skills that will help me get a job later on in life. I'm sure you guys agree - writing is work. And how is photography not work?

Photography: not as much fun without a darkroom, I've discovered. I'm so totally not giving my film to somebody else to develop and print (lousy mechanized processes), but I loath the computer, and the darkness/contrast on the screen (which looks great) is totally different from what comes out (which looks either too pale or too contrast-y). I have yet to make one really good print, although I've got good 'negatives'. So. Another learning curve to deal with. And I now understand what photographers complain about all the time in books - the failure of most printers to replicate the look of a reg'lar ol' darkroom print. It's just different looking. So. My photographic struggles. Which are probably not that interesting, but I thought I'd get them off my chest.

Today Avery and Mom and I start painting together... so wish us luck, people. We might need it.

5 comments:

Andrew said...

Have most excellent luck!

Captain Shar said...

What are you painting? Your house?

Liz said...

Good luck! Too bad about the photography thing. And the people who talk to your mother sound incredibly frustrating. And stupid. Not that I'm judging...or anything...like that...

Personally, I think that some people are just miserable in their lives and like to spread that around as much as possible. Especially people who hate their jobs.

But that's me being judgemental again. So I'm going to sign off.

Love,
Liz

Mackenzie said...

um.... no. we're painting.. as in a painting 'class' together, where i'm the 'instructor'....

brenderlin said...

Okay, so I seriously just spent 10 minutes on that kitten site, just clicking on kittens.

While this is sad, it has affirmed my conviction that cats are way cooler than dogs.