Thursday, February 24, 2005

Wrestling with a Tradition

Wow. So I've decided that I hate color. No, not really. But if I don't severely limit my palette, I always end up with a fudged mess.... Which is basically what happened with the project I have to turn in tomorrow. Oh well.

In chapel this morning one of the professors used the phrase "wrestling with a tradition" and I totally loved it. I wasn't too impressed with the prof, but I loved the phrase. It seems like that's what I've been doing for all of college thus far. Granted, I haven't been here long. I can't seem to get away from it though. I've definitely received some traditional viewpoints and beliefs from my family, and I've had to evaluate just about all of them.

I've wrestled primarily with my anabaptist background I suppose. I have no idea why I believe some of the things I do, about society and the Bible and the church. Living where I've lived, I didn't have to. Nobody cared, and nobody knew why they believed what they believed either. Now though, it's a different story. I have no idea why I'm glad chivalry is dead. Is chivalry a good thing or a bad thing? Why in particular is Machiavelli wrong about ends and means? (I'm pretty sure he is wrong, but I can't seem to articulate why) Why don't we follow the entire Mosaic covenant? (got that one answered.) Why am I a pacifist? (working on articulating that one) Is pacifism bad hermeneutics? What about liturgy? Why am I in general sort of opposed to liturgical services? Why don't I believe in transubstantiation? Is baptism symbolic or efficacious? (I'm pretty sure it's symbolic, but I have no idea why) Why does it bother me that some of my professors prance? In all likelihood I'll frolic still when I'm a professor. So why can't they prance?

These questions, and many more, have been filling my head. In general I'm glad to say that I still believe what I believe when I got here.... Now I just know better why. So I guess my tradition is a good one. Wrestling with a Mennonite tradition. It sounds sort of catchy. And yes, I'm pretty sure that I grew up in a rather Mennonite culture, even though we haven't attended a Mennonite church in years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey Mackenzie!

This is Steven. Don't ask how I found your blog, but suffice to say that me and the CIA have been getting along reeeeeaaalll well lately. =D

no, seriously, I was just reading your blog, and it sounds like your life is eventful right now in the best way possible. I have no idea where you are or anything, but it still sounds eventful. =P

anyway, just thought I'd say hi, and praise your incredible range of mental wrestlings. May you ever strain your reticular activating system on erratic metaphors and random comparisons.

yours,

Steven Rodriguez