Thursday, February 17, 2005

Retreat

I'm definitely still processing the last couple days, and that may result in a decreased number of posts for a while. So... for those of you who actually care, that's what's up.

I've found myself hiding behind my contacts more and more.

And thinking more and more of home, and Easter break.

I won't go home for that, so I'll be here on campus. Almost everyone else will be gone. I find that thought amazingly exciting. I need a retreat. I need a small, clean room somewhere, with lots of windows and hardwood floors, where I could just sit in the sun and do nothing in particular, or work really hard, for a couple of days until I get my mind sorted out.

I want either perfect solitude or to be with someone who won't let me be alone.

Since I'm not likely to get the first, and the second option isn't viable all the time, I compromise. I'm alone as much as I can be, and when I can't be, I'm with my friends. But I'm looking forward to Easter. I'm looking forward to Easter Sunday.

I remember how excited I used to get about getting a new dress. It's been years since I got a new dress for Easter. It's been years since I've worn a dress regularly.

I think, this year, I want to start a new Easter tradition. I'd like, ideally, to go with one or two friends, possibly friends who like to sing, to Hostetter chapel. I'd like us to sit in a pew somewhere near the middle, and sing a few hymns, for as long as we feel like. I'd like to use my old Mennonite hymnal. And then.... Well, in my dreams the friends just sort of melt away.... and I'm sitting there, alone in a pew somewhere near the middle, with the sunshine streaming in the windows, and a fresh breeze coming in through the open doors. I'd be holding a daffodil, sometimes looking at it, and sometimes sitting with my eyes closed, just feeling the sun and the quiet. There would be silence. A really perfect silence.

I've always wanted to sing hymns in an empty church.

Maybe this year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not coming home for Easter?!?!? You are leaving me in the depths of despair (also known as the whole state of Alabama) for even a more extended period of time! ;-) A dafoddil in a church; how very Welsh of you. Oh well, my cymraeg, I will see you soon. Good luck on that RA job.

~ Candace

Mackenzie said...

Don't worry Candace! I'm definitely coming home for spring break, in March (I think it's the 5-11? or it could be the 10-16. I'll get back to you on that.) so we totally need to plan something fun.

Is a daffodil in church Welsh? That's pretty cool. I would like to be Welsh, although I'm usually pretty happy being me.

I'll definitely let you know how the RA thing turns out. Hope everything's going well!

Anonymous said...

*lets out a huge sigh of relief* Yeah, that sounds great. Now all I have to do is think of something.... Yeah, daffodils are the national flower of Wales, and churches whenever the Methodist Revival was going on were huge. Oh, and the singing of hymns is still really popular over there, soooo, you actually had three national symbols of Wales in that post. All you needed was yn dragon goch (a red dragon) and you would be set. Awesome.

~ Candace