Monday, November 15, 2004

Theatre Major

Those of you who know me realize that I enjoy frolicking. Those of you who know me at college know that it's my latest hobby. Shannon is one of those wonderful people who shares my enjoyment of frolicking. We frolic during breaks in art class, we frolic to art class, and we frolic with Kelsey to get pizza in the middle of the night. One day, (In a land far far away - otherwise known as Climenhaga) we were frolicking down to First Year Seminar, where we would write about the faculty art exhibit. We were very happily frolicking, with Kaitlin and Chad laughing at us in the background, when a fellow art major approached.

Now, I don't know all the art majors. I have however, seen this particular art major's self-portraits littering one of the studios. So I was familiar with her face - having nothing else to look at when I didn't want to work. And even self-portraits are more interesting than the floor.

This art major (name as yet unknown) took one look at us frolicking, and muttered "Theatre majors!" as she walked past. Shannon and I promptly stopped frolicking and started howling with laughter. Theatre majors are notorious for being crazy, giddy, and immediately recognizable by their flamboyant nature.

Me, flamboyant? Never!

And we're not theatre majors! Shannon is a formerly-art-major-turned-Christian Ministry major! I'm an art major! Kaitlin, walking behind us with Chad and laughing, is a Theatre major! Yet somehow she escaped this scathing criticism of our behavior.

Since when has frolicking become a pasttime solely for theatre majors? Can we not reclaim our native joy, and frolic in the sun without being mistaken for actors?! Ah, the injustice of the world!

Well, if they're the only ones who can frolic, then I'm going to become a theatre major and do frolicking justice.

1 comment:

Captain Shar said...

Being called a theatre major is not a scathing insult! It's a compliment! And, it's actually an extremely useful explanation for all kinds of unconventional and eye-catching behavior.