Monday, November 15, 2004

Language Fun

This rambling is devoted exclusively to random language fun. It includes several poems written by my lovely brothers, as well as one written by a strange and delusional art major on the subject of school.

Perhaps we should begin with a discussion of the word "intricate." What the crap is the noun form of the word "intricate"? Intricity? Intricateness? Intricateicism? If anyone out there knows, please tell me, and end my confusion!

The word "gambol" - tell me that's not a fun word to say! But why does "gamboling" sound so much like "gambling"? I could be happily frolicking one day, shouting out, "I love to gambol!" whenever my whimsey dictated, and some Messiah faculty member could slap a fine on me. I mean, dang. Can't even gambol without getting in trouble.

Now for that poetry I promised:

"Keep out of the cold
You've been told
to be bold
so watch out for mold
in the Netherlands."

Aaron and Avery, that's freaking awesome. It has inhabited my AIM profile for a while now.
Also by Aaron:

"Here is a coat
it's not for a boat
or to keep you afloat
this ain't no joke."

Yes Aaron, I appreciate that clarification. I mean, without you I might have tried to cross the English channel using a green coat and no oars. Think of all the trouble you've just saved the English coast guard.

And finally, for that random poem by an extremely random art major:

"Gone are the days
when homework was fun.
Now I just wish
homework was done.
If it was
I'd have some fun.
I'd frolic and gambol
unceasing till the sun
in its sleepy wisdom goes down."

Speaking of homework....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Intricacy.

Mackenzie said...

Much obliged.