Monday, November 22, 2004

Mouse Adventures, Part 4

(Don't worry, this is the last one, I promise.)

Later that night, we decided we wanted to rearrange our room: unbunk the beds, push the dressers around a bit, change our poster placement. Thoroughly cleaning everything as we went along, we pulled the chairs into the hall, picked books up off the floor, and piled things (temporarily) on our beds. I picked up my violin case from its resting place near my desk, and lo and behold! the mouse had been hiding behind it. It ran behind my desk, and Abby and I yelled "It's a mouse!" and wondered what to do. Abby went to fetch Emily, the closest RA. Of course Emily wasn't there - Emily's never there. I barely recognize her. So we ran to the other end of the hall and found Erin, the other RA. She's nice. Erin got Christy, who has some experience with rodents and is not squeamish. Of course we're all yelling quite loudly about this mouse, and heads are poking out of doors, and people come running (Jillian, of course, was just about to get in the shower. Last time I think it was a fire drill that interrupted her.). Jillian screams quite loudly without even seeing the mouse, and subsequently comes into our room four or five times afterwards to see if we've caught it yet. Yes, with seven people all crammed in our room, furniture in disarray, and plenty of hullabaloo, the mouse is going to come out and meekly walk into our trash can so we can get rid of it.

We pull everything out from the walls, see the mouse dart around a couple times, and completely lose track of it. We can't find a nest anywhere, and trust me, we looked hard. So Christy (She's my hero now) got us a mouse trap she was supposed to use for a physics experiment and set it up in our room. We baited it with peanut butter, and still it sits there, completely untouched. We managed to sleep last night though, without too much trouble.

I have never met so many people on our hallway before. Maybe I'm antisocial, or maybe everyone's antisocial, or maybe we're just really busy, but I don't know many people on my floor. Like I said, I barely recognize one of the RA's! So, for that at least the mouse has been useful.

I really like our furniture rearrangement. We have a lot more wall space all of a sudden, so Abby decided I need to paint a large daisy picture to fill the empty space. Maybe then people will stop complaining they've never seen my artwork.

If only I liked mice, I'd be happy.

No comments: