Monday, November 29, 2004

Stupendous Stupidity

Now some of you who haven't known me very long may wonder, "Mackenzie? What does she have to do with stupendous stupidity?" Others may be saying, "Oh yeah, that's the Mackenzie we know and tolerate." In any case, I'm always doing stupid and seemingly irreparable things. For a wonder, I haven't done any stupendously stupid things for the past three months. I mean, c'mon, think about it. I've been in charge of my own education, job, and extracurriculars for three months with no parental supervision. It's a recipe for disaster. Why have I not screwed up really badly yet?

Yesterday, I learned why.

I was saving it all up until I got home, where I could screw up badly with my family cheering in the sidelines. I was only home 5 days, and in that space of time I contrived to not only raid the fridge and lose my shoes in the first five minutes, I managed - here it comes - to back into my grandparents' car! Yes! They decided, last minute, to come down from Indiana for a couple days to visit. They parked behind our cars, up against the fence. They unpacked, hung out, never thought about where they'd parked. We went to a movie, came back, hung out some more. Next day, Abbi Schopp came over to hang out, and we were going to bake cookies. Only we ran out of confectioners sugar.

OK, no big deal, we'll just run to Wal-mart and get some. Won't take half an hour. Right.

In discussing it, we decided I should run up to Decatur quick and grab the last supplies for a Christmas project, before the store closed. Then we'd run to Wal-mart and be back in no time.

Finally all is decided. I get my shoes, purse, CD's, and shopping list in order, and we venture out to the car. All this while I'm talking to Abbi, saying how weird it was to drive after three months at college. I start the car, keep talking, and back up, thinking, "Dude, this is eerily familiar."

Crunch!

Not anymore it's not!

I throw a glance out the window thinking, "****!" and see Grandma and Grandpa's car. "Ohmygosh! I did not just hit Grandma and Grandpa's car!" Oh, but I did. I left a nice large dent in the rear bumper of their new car. They bought it in May, on their way down for my graduation. And I put a dent in it! I backed into my grandparents' car!

It figures that our car suffered no injuries.

Upsides: I wasn't driving the truck. I wasn't going very fast. No one got hurt. I didn't break their taillight. I was at home. My grandparents didn't get upset. In fact, I was the only one who got upset.

So, I backed into my grandparents' car over Thanksgiving break. What did you do?

1 comment:

Captain Shar said...

Dear Mackenzie,

You're fine! I was so happy to see you for the meeting.