Friday, July 01, 2005

When You Be Beside Me I Am Real

Today I feel like a plant.

No, I'm not going crazy - er. I'm not going crazier.

It rained, so I stood out in it. And then I saw a pretty magnolia bud, so I walked over and picked it. And then I felt bad, because magnolia blooms die really soon after they're picked, and it's one of the last ones. Magnolia season is over. So I decided to let it go out with a bang. I picked some other flowers and made an arrangement so it could have a nice funeral, appreciated and attended by my whole family and the neighbors, albeit unwittingly.

Then I stood in the rain some more.

Then I decided I felt like a plant. In actuality I decided my excuse for standing in the rain was feeling like a plant. I think standing in the rain is really some obscure coping mechanism that we lost track of when roofs were invented (roofs have not been around as long as stew).

Now I'm drinking fantastic hot chocolate (some of that extra fudge land o'lakes kind that I found in the back of our cupboard), sitting on my couch typing up insanity, and listening to Christmas music while wrapped in a blanket.

Quite frankly, I have no idea why I'm doing any of this - the hot chocolate, the blanket, the typing, the standing-in-the-rain-thinking-what-a-plant-would-feel-like, the Christmas music (especially the Christmas music). Except that it seems like something to do, and when you can't write, well, you've got extra time on your hands. I suppose they too would fall under the category of obscure coping mechanisms.

It was a little lonely standing in the rain though.

5 comments:

Liz said...

I feel like saying: next time it rains, call me and we'll both go outside on the phone and be in the rain (and so you won't be lonely). However, being the extremely practical person that I am, I realize that 1) that might be bad for the phones and 2) it probably won't be raining here. Thus dies my helpful impulse.

I am in full support of your plantish self-discovery. and even the Christmas music. As long as it's not Alabamanian Christmas music. 'Cause then we'd have to kill you.

brenderlin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
brenderlin said...

It's funny you mention christmas music, cause I totally had "Chesnuts roasting on an open fire" stuck in my head yesterday. Even to the point of going to the piano, figuring out the chords, and then engaging in a rendition of the beloved christmas carol that ended up sounding like it was recorded in a saloon. With sailors.

And Pirates.

And Ninjas.

(well actually it was only one ninja)


(...the ninja won)

Mackenzie said...

lol! that's hilarious! Um... glad the ninja won.

Liz, you rock my socks off with your practicality. Maybe next time it rains I'll just pretend to be standing out in it or something. = )

Captain Shar said...

I didn't realize how incongrous that was for the season until you yourself drew attention to it. Sitting with hot chocolate and listening to Christmas music after standing in the rain just seemed so "you." We'll have to do that all together when it actually is Christmas time.