Monday, October 23, 2006

"what's your face doing?!"

- Liz Laribee to Jean Corey in the middle of class discussion

Hey loves. I gots to run and write me some papers, but I wanted to share this little tidbit from my photography reading with you:

"One thing I've learned over the years - at least in photography - is patience. I don't think I'm as patient in other areas of my life. One of my biggest enemies was myself. If I walked into a situation and did not see something wonderful and 'designy' and shiny to photograph, I would start beating up on myself. That would only lead me downhill. After a while I realized that I could arrive on the scene at 7 o'clock in the morning and I would play this gamed called 'find the picture.' I would sooner or later find one. I learned to just wander around, look at stuff for four or five hours - and there it would be.

There is a rhythm to everything - and that is true to life and work in these cow camps. After a while I would recognize what I wanted to shoot, and I would do what I needed to do without being obstrusive or directing people or manipulating things in any way. That kind of approach, at least for me, works well. Many photographers are micro-managers. They like to go out and set things up and direct people around. I'm not a director. I'm an observer."

- Adam Jahiel

Also, you should look up David Fokos and Scott Campbell. 'Cause the work I found of theirs in LensWork is pretty much amazing.

No comments: