Monday, January 30, 2006

sink or swim, i'm back in the fray.

My first painting assignment: ten paintings due by Wednesday. No prior knowledge of how to oil paint, no idea how to clean my brushes or anything, just plunck! Here you go, have at it. I think the primary purpose of this assignment is to weed out the unwilling to work. There were six or seven non-majors in class today, and they were so scared... one literally left in the middle of his intro speech. Went up, shook his hand, said, nice to meet you but this class is not for me. and left. If I wasn't a major, then I might very well have left too. He starts off trying to scare the crap out of everyone, 'thout a doubt.

Photo 1 sounds like it's going to be good, except that people generally spend about $175 on supplies. Thank goodness I have a camera to use. If I had to buy one of those, it'd be crazy. Also, he's married to the other professor forsythe, so I'm afraid their grading practices are similar. A deccent amount of work, but not too much. Just one roll a week.

Art history 2 I'm rather cocky about. It's academic, and I know I'm good at academic.

Also, in exciting news, Kelsey's back at Messiah! Apparently she just decided Philly was stupid, so she registered here, and I have painting and art history 2 with her, so that's exciting.

I hope bioethics and poetry workshop are a reasonable amount of work. Painting is going to kill me... I know how much work colour & design took to see improvement, and I'm afraid that painting will take twice as much work. Kelsey's taking drawing 2 from Finch as well, which I feel like is almost as bad as taking 3 studios. And people say I'm crazy.

It kind of made me happy in painting today, we were going around introducing each other, and he asked me where, ideally, I wanted to be in 5 years... and I had a definite answer. In five years, I want to be graduating from grad school with an MFA and applying to teach at a college somewhere. I think he was a little taken aback by my answer, but heck, that's where, ideally, I'm going to be in five years.

Alright, off to dinner and painting for hours upon hours.

2 comments:

jemmo said...

Ten paintings by Wednesday?! Whoa... good luck with that. That sounds scary beyond belief. To steal from Artemis Fowl, "I'm right there with you, hon. Unless you step on a land mine, in which case I'm way back in the Ops room." Seriously, feel free to un-stress (read: whine) to me any time.

Anonymous said...

ok, so i have to say im a bit disappointed in your five year plan. that is as long as its ideally.
personally, i would go with in five years i would like to be retired and living in southern california happily married with no responsibilities and an fricken sweet old sports car.