Friday, January 20, 2006

smoking kills. if you're killed, you've lost a very important part of your life.

Yesterday night we got a call from dispatch that I'd left the inside lights of my car on. They'd been on since 7 am that morning. The good (and totally surprising) thing was that when I went down to turn them off, the car still started. So I ran it for a while to recharge the battery. So thank goodness it started! I also realized, at about 10 p.m., that I'd been wearing my tank top backwards all day.

Here's another exciting thing: I'm going to be able to pay for all my books all by myself, including the monstrous art textbook and the bioethics textbook. That makes me really really proud. I didn't even have to touch the money I've been saving for Italy next year. That makes me insanely proud. Sure, my parents are still clothing, feeding, and paying for 40% of my college tuition... but I got my textbooks all by myself.

Ok, I know, I sound like an five-year-old who's proud she can tie her shoes. Actually, that's a great metaphor for the college life. College students (are not like chicken, Andrew) are learning to be grown-ups. Paying for textbooks is like tying shoes, finishing your degree is like baking that first batch of whatever (in my case it was demented chocolate-chip cookies), and getting a full-time job is like finally growing up enough to get your license.

It just struck me how ridiculous it was to use life as an analogy for another time in life. Ignore that whole previous paragraph.

I'm as proud as a five-year-old who just learned to tie her shoes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Also realized, at about 10 p.m., that I'd been wearing my tank top backwards all day."

^^that^^^ is about the best line in a blog i have seen in a while.

lmao.