Friday, January 13, 2006

something funny that the chapel speaker said

I have to say, I hate doing laundry at college. At home it's not so bad. You just pop the clothes in any ol' time, don't have to fight for dryers, and don't have to worry about the balance of your flex dollars. Also, things seem to break down less at home. If you accidentally forget that you were doing laundry (something I am prone to) no one's going to chuck your clothes on the floor, or on a questionably clean tabletop. It also totally creeps me out to think that random guys see my underwear fairly frequently in the course of doing laundry (I mean, probably they're being polite and not paying any attention, especially considering that my underwear isn't that interesting, but there's no way to know that for sure). All that said, at least Friday mornings seem to be a good time to do laundry. I got enough washers on the first try, and even enough dryers.

It's the weekend!!!!! AAAHHHHH!!!! So unbelievably excited. Especially since it's the start of a 3-day weekend! I am so looking forward to this.

I'm not sure if I've told the family yet, so in case I forgot: Liz, Lucy, Sharon, Meredith and I are all going to Sharon's house after lunch Saturday and staying until sometime after church on Sunday. We're celebrating Sharon's birthday with a sleepover sort of thing. I think. Yes. I totally know what I'm talking about.

Class was... I feel like it was funny today, although I'm not sure why. I really didn't pay attention. We started dismantling this story from 'a writer's perspective' (said in the voice of doom), and we took, seriously, two hours at it. Considering that looking at things that way is just sort of habit for me, I found it pretty boring. So I started roughing out more of the dragon lady story. Three pages worth of the dragon lady story. Although maybe my time would have been better spent trying to rough out my sonnet.

S - Sick of rhyme and iambic pentameter
O - Ouch, says my brain in a moment of misery
N - "Never!" the form says, refusing to bend, and
N - "Nyah Nyah! You can't write me!"
E - Eternity spent in the arms of a sonnet makes me wish for
T - The end.

So that's my little... er... form... related to sonnets. Acrostic! That's the word. That's my acrostic related to sonnets. I'm sure you're all blown away by its brilliance.

And also, I realized that the boy with ridiculously teal eyes is named Kurt LeVan, and that he's in the Minnemingo this semester. And Liz was saying something about knowing him. Or something. Apparently he's nice, although I haven't read his poetry yet to be able to tell if I actually like it or not.

So that's my unrelated fact for the day. I'm kind of wondering if, since Liz knows him, she could ask him if he wears colored contacts or not.... I have a premonition that I'm going to have to write a character with ridiculously teal eyes at one point, possibly as a villain, since I just like that color. and also the way the phrase "ridiculously teal" sounds.

1 comment:

brenderlin said...

Curtis was my student host when I was a prospective student. It was kind of an awkward visit, although that's probably just due to the nature of a college visit. Meh.