Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Yes Andrew, you can be me for a while. I think that's a great idea. Then I can be a better writer for a while.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe I just need a break from writing and poetry.

Maybe? Maybe is a hollow word.

It's happened before. It could be just one of those cycles.

I think that's wishful thinking.

What if it's just realistic thinking?

And if that's wishful thinking, what about all those years spent thinking you could be a good writer, or possibly already were a good writer?

And if all your english 'talent' was an illusion, what about art? People have told you before that you're a talented writer. Only your mother has ever told you that you were a talented artist. If praise proved false, how much worse will silence prove?

That's the point at which I can't find any reply to the empty-voice. Oh, don't worry, I'm not depressed or anything - it takes too much energy for me to be depressed. My temperament is not naturally one of despair, except in brief plunges. No, I'm not depressed. Just a little bit hollow.

On a good note, yesterday I got Paxton to fall asleep, all by myself. Let me tell you the whole story (you lucky people you): at about six he seemed tired, and just wanted to sit on the floor and hug his beach ball. So I thought, hey, I've watched Barb and Jackie put him to sleep a couple times. I wonder if I could get him to fall asleep? If I can't, he'll almost certainly start crying, and I hate it when he cries. I mean, he's got lungs! So I put him on my lap, and got a picture book, and we rocked back and forth and looked at the book for a while, and by six-thirty he was out cold. I'm telling you, proudest moment of my week. He eventually heard his mom's voice and woke up, but by that time she was coming to get him anyway. So I got to hold a sweet sleeping baby for like, an hour. And that was good.

Mom told me, "So, now say you're never having kids."

Well, sure, it's harder to say that after being around a really sweet baby like Paxton, but what are the odds of getting a baby like that? And it's not the baby stage I'm worried about - at least not once they start sleeping through the night. It's the whole, oh,-they-grow-up part. Frankly, little kids tire me. I'm not sure I want my own. Pre-teens make me grind my teeth. I don't want my own. Teenagers, by and large as a general populace, bore me. Or else they act freaking stupid and I feel like whacking them upside the head. Why would I want to be bored out of my wits by and yet responsible for a teenager? And, while, whacking them upside the head may be enjoyable, I don't think child protection services would approve. Adults? Eh, well.... frankly, who cares once they're adults? They move away and get their own lives and crap. And I can hang out with young adults or adults all I want without having my own.

Eh, not sure how I got on that topic. I'm going to go play games now. Age of Empires or Civilization or something. Or read. More books arrived yesterday.

4 comments:

Andrew said...

More books arrived? What books? You play Age of Empires? Which culture is your favorite? You play Civilization? Which... wait, no, play Age of Empires-- it's better. :)

And by the way, I'm not a better writer. Your writing is, in several ways, better than mine. For one thing (and this is something you've commented on) your writing is much more honest than mine, in content as well as feel and style. For another thing, I prefer your writing style to my own. Here, lemme quote you:

Mackenzie said:
Yes, Japanese cuisine is very elegant, Margaret reflected with satisfaction, waiting calmly for her sushi. And it gives one such a sense of calm to sit at low tables on cushions. She was comfortably hungry - that is, ravenous, and comfortable in the fact that food would soon arrive. Sushi. It had almost a heavenly ring. She never ordered anything else from Orito Sai’s.

Andrew would probably have said:
Dead, raw fish isn't supposed to taste so good, thought Maggy through the dimming haze of satisfaction. The interior decor spoke of some sort of calmness, and the burdens of the day seemed to float away through the sake-stained air. Maggy was hungry, but not too hungry. The food would be there any second anyway. Sushi. It was a crude word, but its taste made up for Orito Sai’s linguistic nonsense.

Now, as you can see, your style is better.

Oh, and Meredith says "Hi."

Mackenzie said...

I ordered um... well, to be honest, 18 books. On the day I posted this, The Finale, the Princess Bride DVD, the Light Princess adaptation by Robin McKinley, and the Princess, the Crone, and the Dungcart Knight arrived.

I do play Age of Empires. Well, sort of. Strictly as an amateur. To be honest again, I mostly start a campaign and then die within the first twenty minutes or so. And I really only recently started - I started pulling out all our old 'strategy' games (Alpha Centauri, Civ III, etc) and Avery whipped that game out, so... I tried it. Civilization I can almost sort of win at... which is why it's lasted so long. = )

And it's not a fair comparison to make between my handling of a chopstick-induced death and your probable handling of a chopstick induced death. My handling of one of your creations would be lousy, simply because I didn't invent it and I don't understand it and know what I want from it. And your comment is hilarious, because your writing is witty and funny, and I would be very surprised if your books don't get published within a year of you writing them (if, that is, you intend to write books). In fact, I said as much to Mom the other day. I was talking about the writing group and why certain people were good writers and who I thought would be published easiest.

Anyway, I suppose all that was to say that thanks, you have no idea how happy it makes me that you like my writing style, but it sounds to me like you're shortchanging your own.

Tell Meredith "Hi!" back! I'm so freaking excited to go to school this year and know that I know my roommate! = D And hope your vacation goes well - that's coming up soon isn't it?

Captain Shar said...

Have you read The Finale before? I read it once.

How do you guys think of such interesting stuff to say in the comments? I always feel like I'm scratching around and come up with something both unimportant and uninteresting. Unless it's about metaphysics, which may still fit into that category depending on your temperament.

Mackenzie said...

Yeah, I've read it before. I don't like it as well as The Singer, but that's OK. It's still good.