Friday, September 28, 2007

oh, I don't know what to do about this dream and you

oh I hope it comes true.

I realized today that blogging greatly improved my writing life. Something about the relentless practice of writing is, maybe, paying off. At least, I am able to tell quite a difference in my writing competence now that I have been blogging nigh on three years. I sit down with a thought and suddenly there are five hundred or seven hundred or sometimes even close to a thousand words that don't sound too bad when I look back at them the next day or week.

Has anyone else noticed a difference in their writing due to their blogging practices?

Blogging also makes me realize this: I think by sheer persistence it is possible to find your own voice, because after a while there is nothing else to try on. You have followed every style there is to follow, borrowed from your contemporaries, tried to write like the poets you adore, decided to be e.e. cummings-like in your punctuation practices, but in the end, what's left except to write exactly like yourself. True hypothesis?

Does anyone else have the sense that the semester is starting to close in on them like those comic walls in dramatic movies? Any minute now, this creepy garbage-eating creature is going to start strangling me and then run away as the trash starts to compact. That leads me to my next observation: It is starting to dawn on me that I am ready to be graduated.

Also that I have watched too many Star Wars movies if that is the first image of closing-in walls that comes to my mind.

1 comment:

Captain Shar said...

I think you've blogged more than any of us...but I agree that writing a lot helps. I wish I had the time or the motivation to do that with filmmaking. But I know my writing has improved quite a bit too, especially after writing that 100 page script and crafting stories and characters for D&D several times a week (between my live and online games).