Friday, September 21, 2007

and if I knew the answers, then i would tell you now

Why am I walking around with nail polish on only my left hand? You might also ask me: why is there writing all over your right arm? And I would not really have answers for you. "It is just something that happens," I say. "It is just part of being busy and an art major who is always thinking but does not always have a sketchbook and an English major who is always tasting words but does not always have a pen handy. It is part of making my work and words as lively and dynamic as my own body is."

It looks more and more like my senior show will be a giant sculpture in Climenhaga, hanging through that triangular hole in the first floor and dangling (I hope gracefully and dramatically) down in front of Aughinbaugh gallery. By "giant" I mean possibly 15 feet tall, and I mean layers and layers of glass fleshing out this imagined tree of mine. I do not have the expertise for this, but I am going to do my absolute best to make something work. "That's the rest of your life," Don Forsythe, art professor of the funny stories, "you get this idea and you find someone who can help you make it happen and you learn -" and you just go for it.

Is it funny if I declare I believe in this glass tree? Because I believe in it. I believe that it could be awesome. I believe that it could be dramatic and beautiful and provoking, if I can get past myself and actually serve the idea and birth the image in my head - the vision? - if you will allow me to use such a crazy word.

If I am a grown up, I suppose it is time for me to begin making grown-up work, isn't it? And as we all know, being an adult is all about problem-solving. Maybe now that I am 21, I will be able to kick every problem right in the face. = D

P.S. Can I tell you how amazing my roommates are? And also Greg. And of course the family, even though they are a long ways away. I haven't had such an amazing birthday in quite a while. . . .

P.P.S. my advisor and boss at work are having a baby. . . yes, they are married to each other, they are rocking, and they will be having a childrens!

P.P.P.S. My Jesus College Blog is once again updated. . . . This time I went on a bit of an art v. intellectualism rant, and a brief look at Chris Fennell's new sculpture on campus. If you are interested in those sorts of things, it is there to be read.

1 comment:

brenderlin said...

I look forward to seeing your sculpture. It sounds teh awesome!

Also, when are we doing the communal cooking/eating thing? I'll probably call you sometime and ask about it then.