Sunday, September 02, 2007

"in one of history's more absurd acts of totalitarianism, china has banned buddhist monks in tibet from reincarnating without government permission."

Susan Getty sent me an article from Newsweek with that as the first sentence - it made my day.

So yes, it is the weekend, and I am posting anyway. But it is because it is my choice, not because it is something I need to do, so I think that I am not breaking my weekend resolutions. Or my sabbath-day resolutions, for that matter.

Several things I like about the catholic mass I went to this morning:

(1) The people helping serve the host brought it out to those in the congregation who were old and unable to stand up in line to wait for communion, or who were in wheelchairs and unable to walk down.

(2) in catholic mass in general, the emphasis is on emmanuel -- God-with-us -- and sometimes I just need to be reminded that other people actually believe that. I mean, that's why we kneel when they're consecrating the eucharist (or whatever the proper terminology is). Because as the priest is blessing it, it really becomes the physical body of Christ in our midst. And who wouldn't kneel if you knew the king of heaven was present?

You know, I had many things to say, but as I'm sitting down to type I find that they are not important. I will try and adjust well to the school year and to having everyone back on campus and to all of our changed social circles and patterns. I will try and not be a dumb-ass. That's about all the more I can say about my life right now. Oddly enough, due to the craziness of this weekend on campus without everyone working, I am ready to be in classes so that some sort of routine starts.

On the other hand, I'm havin' fun just eating and bumming around. That's the way the weekend should be, in my mind. None of that homework stuff.

Alright loves. I will see all you college peoples around on campus from now on. Still mental hugs to the rest of you.

P.S. I updated my Jesus College blog again on Friday.

1 comment:

Mrs. Micah said...

I also love the Catholic reverence for the Eucharist. It means a lot more for me to take it with them than with most other churches.

Lol on the headline. They really don't like the Dalai Lama, I'm guessing they don't want another one of those on their hands....tough cookies.

- RKT