Monday, August 13, 2007

that weatherman is a liar, he said it'd be raining. but it's clear and blue as far as i can see.



Look! Messiah students have been frolicking for all of time! [Brought to you by the Absurd Photos from the BIC Archives Marathon]

I wrote a silly/banal poem for today, because my thoughts rhymed:

So often you just write long enough to get the junk out of the way
and discover the kernel of what you really want to say.

That's why writing and art take so freaking long, I think. Because so much of this is just sifting through the surface thoughts to find the real, authentic, interesting, worthwhile bit (and sometimes, to be honest, you can't find it at all). For instance, I wrote a whole eight paragraphs on my way to this blog post about church membership, when what it really boils down to, at base level, is this: people take church membership too lightly. Membership ought to be permanent, and you shouldn't leave just because of a few church leadership problems or because gossip or slander has become such a problem (honey, it's always been a problem, it always will be a problem, no matter what church you're in. Get over it. Do what you can, in your little sphere, to stop it and provide a good example, but get the hell over the idea that it's going to be better anywhere else. It won't be).

A few interesting tidbits:
Ever heard of an AltoidCam? [It's totally cool because it's unobtrusive, versus most pinhole cameras, and also because the focal length is so little, it's totally got this fish-eye effect that's cool and eerie when paired with the normal pinhole light-etchings.]

Would you like to see a few black and white photos? [I'm not sure why - but something about some of these photos I found interesting. Some are just kitschy and/or ridiculous, but there's some good kernels here in my opinion.]

Also, if you are a fan of Postsecret, check this out.

This Friday is going to rock. In addition to moving into my new apartment (where I can stay for a whole nine months), I will get paid, and I will get my new debit card. Rock on Friday.

Countdown: 5
Countdown to my apartment: 4 days

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's a score picture, Kenzie. Different, but score.

I also think you're correct in your analysis of writing and art. That's why so many people say that beginning writers, in particular, should just WRITE. It doesn't have to be good, but it has to get out so that you can sift through it.

-Ruth