Monday, July 16, 2007

recognize healthy behaviors - stop them before they start

I looked at my desk today, and it told me a sad, sad story. There is not room for my computer to sit on it. This indicates to me that I am stressed.

Why is it that in Orvieto it was so much easier to know what I needed? Did the foreigness of my environment really contribute that deeply to new awareness of self? Was I just forced to be more honest?

This is my resolution, I guess, to be more honest with myself about what I can and cannot do, what I do or do not need, and what I do or do not want. I'm going to stick up for myself, basically, and when I need sleep I'm going to leave the socializing early and get some sleep. And when I need to eat I'll eat and when I need to get some work done I'm not going to feel bad about saying so.

Basically? I'm vowing to bring a little Orvieto into my U.S. life. I'm going to take abundant time for what I need, and I'm going to budget my time so that there's also abundant time for what I want.

By 'abundant,' I don't necessarily mean plentiful. I do mean full. I want every day to have that deep rounded sense of satisfaction about it, not a harried feeling. And you know, I might even try and carry this into the semester, although that might be just crazy ambitious.

Keep me to it, OK? =)

1 comment:

Captain Shar said...

You know? Being next door, I could even tell you it's your bed-time...:P