Monday, March 27, 2006

personhood is more than a technical achievement, how ever impressive it may be

Says one of the theoreticians I've been reading on behalf of my bioethics research paper. It's on artificial intelligence. The sad thing is, I've gone 700 words (OK, 710) over the minimum requirement, and I know that I've barely scratched the surface. I'm just hoping I scratched the surface in a coherent, articulate way so that I'll get an amazingly great grade. The paper is worth almost one quarter of the entire semester's grade.

Tomorrow: Bioethics paper due. Pick up certification form and mail off the rest of my Oxford application, make sure to send electronic portion after verifying the courses I want. Visit the internship center if at all possible.
Wednesday: deadline day at the newspaper, photography critique, painting critique, and visual analysis due.
Thursday: create a display for the newspaper booth at the organization fair on Friday. Also go see Noises Off, Messiah College theatre department's latest rendition.
Friday: Whatever the flipping heck I want to do. (Only in actuality, it will probably involve more research for my art history term paper, the bioethics debate on eugenics, the next photo project, and lots of reading homework.)

No, this list is not just so I can be whiny. It's there so I don't forget. The next few days are tight, and I figure the entire internet is less likely to crash than I am to lose a list.

Today I had a very nice conversation with Daniel Finch in painting about Sophomore Review. He said I almost made him cry when I started talking about my photo, and told me a story about this artist's talk he gave once where he got all emotional (even less socially acceptable for a guy to cry in public than a girl), and reassured me that being a good render-er does not necessarily make you an artist. He said that emotional honesty and concepts from real life went a lot further towards making you a good artist than does being able to paint perfectly realistically. I felt a lot better. I like him lots. Unfortunately, the fact that I like him lots makes me work a lot harder for his class. Which means I get less sleep than maybe I should.

Alright, enough time wasting. I'm still alive, and still pretty happy. Actually, I'm really happy, which is absurd when you consider the work this week involves.

4 comments:

jemmo said...

Now, you do realize that saying that the entire internet is unlikely to crash means, of course, that it is going to in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... [error: page cannot be found] [error: site cannot be found] [error: internet cannot be found]

And the evil internet monkeys are partying somewhere in the vicinity of the fourth level of hell.

Love you! Good luck with everything.

Captain Shar said...

Happy, happy, happy...!

brenderlin said...

Have I mentioned that I REALLY want to see this photo?

Mackenzie said...

You should come to dinner sometime. I had it with me today.

Ok, that was sort of unfair. I'll try and bring it to dinner again.