Wednesday, March 29, 2006

"LHOOQ...

which is very Dada, not only because it's a readymade - I mean, he bought this postcard outside the Louvre and then scribbled on it - but because of the intellectual play going on, and the wordplay. The title, for instance: if you say it out loud in French, it resembles a vulgar phrase, something along the lines of 'she has a hot ass.' "

Yes, that's what we've been learning about in art history. I have to say, modern art is a lot more entertaining than that stuffy ol' Renaissance stuff. Of course, aesthetically I'm attracted to very little of it, but I guess you can't win 'em all. At least it's intellectually stimulating.

I got six hours of sleep last night, which is not bad I guess. I should have gotten a lot less, but about 2 a. m. I just decided I couldn't stand being conscious anymore. I'm definitely on a downward swing after the euphoria of discovering I really could be an art major. And also the suspense is killing me (I still haven't gotten the promised summer letter from sophomore review).

But the worst was getting ready for today. Eventually I'm going to get more sleep and be done with all these silly research papers and applications and essays.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow night and seeing Noises Off, and I'm also looking forward to Friday in painting when a professor-artist-friend of Daniel Finch's is coming to give a presentation and talk to us about being an artist. So that's super-cool. I already have a ton of questions I'd like to ask.

Which brings me to the other exciting news from today: Daniel Finch is going to have a baby boy! (Well, I guess technically his wife is.) They saw the first ultrasounds this morning. He could barely keep his mind on the critique today in class. = ) It really is super exciting though. He really lights up when his daughter comes to visit him at work, so I can imagine he's totally excited for another one. He says they're stopping at two. I dunno, though. Babies have a way of convincing people they need more babies. (I can practically hear Abbi in my head... "Oh, Babies!") = D

1 comment:

ReformationGirl said...

Oh, Babies! :-)