Saturday, February 18, 2006

the post that ate the blog

Thanks to those who kindly alerted me to the fact that my last post was posted three times. When I hit the publish post, it said it couldn't publish, so I kept trying, and apparently it could publish.

I woke up this morning and realized just how much work I have to get ready for Monday. I wasted most of last night, but now I really need to get a move on.

Christy Forsythe, my weaving teacher, had a show open last night at our gallery. I wasn't sure what to expect. Certainly I didn't expect text-inspired work: delicate, subtle, almost minimalistic. The show had a couple of hangings (woven wire and colored thread), a sculpture (knitted wire and a metal frame), several artist's books (she made all the paper, and sewed the text onto the paper with her sewing machine), and these framed paper paintings (best I can do to explain them). I didn't like some of the work, of course, but overall I was impressed. My favorite was by far the "View from my Window" series. The larger series, I forget what it's called, flirted on the edge of being static, and actually slipped over the line a couple times. The larger hangings are nice, although maybe not as I expected from their size.

I know now why she liked my ideas involving integration of text and visual elements. It's an obsession she shares. So now I feel like I dismissed her teaching too quickly; because she demanded unrealistic acheivement, or because her personality sometimes irritates me, I didn't listen as closely or absorb as much as I should have. So I'm tempted to take another class from her, even though I know I'd hate it and go crazy in no time....

So yeah, that's what I thought about the show. Her talk was interesting, if elementary. I'm gonna go do my work now.

No comments: