Monday, November 26, 2007

thanksgiving

Thanksgiving: a tale of adventure. Traveling adventure. Culinary adventure. Gastrointestinal adventure.

I came, I ate, I got some kind of weird stomach flu, I left, I came back to school. (somehow not as cool as I can I saw I conquered.)

It was good to see my family again, both immediate and extended. Greg came with me, and I was surprised but pleased when it seemed fairly natural. I hope he felt more or less natural about it! = ) Never visit Lewistown Pennsylvania, avoid Ohio turnpikes in the rain, don't get the stomach flu, do get more of your reading done, and yet also do spend more time with your family. All at once, Mackenzie? Yes. All at once.

That's my advice for myself for next Thanksgiving break.

Funny thing about the stomach flu was, both of my brothers also came down with it. All of us were sick within an hour of one another on Friday night. And we hadn't even eaten any of the same things that day, so it must have been a virus of some kind.

Actually, though, coming back to school hasn't been so bad. Usually after a good break it's like pulling teeth to sit in classes again and think about how to get all my work done. But you know, today was all right. I meet with Professor Perrin on Mondays, so that's always a good start to the week. It leaves me feeling capable, encouraged, happy, like I can do this college thing, even if it is a lot of work. And then Tuesdays knock the stuffing out of me. Oh, well. Can't win 'em all.

Um. . . . yeah, so that's pretty much it. The end. Just to let you know I'm here and alive and kicking and back to work an' all that stuff. I won't be around this Saturday night, though, because I will actually be at another wedding. But I think we won't be having Pro Tempore anyway, because Lucy & Danielle will both be presenting papers at an undergraduate conference on medeival and renaissance studies.

Most rambling and pointless post ever? Yeah, I think so. But I guess I've been reading up on postmodernism for art seminar -- and postmodernism defies the Cartesian straightforwardness of purposed prose. So I'm on track. = D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's right, defy Descartes! I hope you're feeling all better soon, flus bite.

Liz said...

yes please, let's hang out saturday day. that'll be excellent. and friday--we'll discuss. i have rehearsal, but there's afterwards, perhaps.