Monday, November 05, 2007

"i roll the window down and then begin to breathe in the darkest country road"

Hello. I forget what I was going to say, but I think it involved amazement at the huge box of candy that my mother sent me. Seriously, it weighs at least five pounds. Do you ever have the urge to spend pound with an ell? It confuses me. The abbreviation being lb., I mean, and the actual word being spelled pound.

Um, artistic influences? I'm not certain I have any, but I have to give a presentation tomorrow. Actually, I lied. I have plenty of artistic influences, and I have made sustained study of several artists. I am just afraid to explain why, and I am afraid that the influences I've adopted as my own are not the right influences -- whatever the heck it might mean to choose the right influences. As if there is some singular end goal.

I was talking to Professor Perrin, and I admitted quite frankly that I dislike literature, in part because I feel unequal to disputing with it. And so the canon in both literature and art makes it difficult for me to make things and claim my own place. But I'm supposed to hunt for some influences in any case, literarily, to be the subterranean stream under this year's poetry. She is very excited about my poems thus far, and I must say that I am also very excited through her excitement. Sometimes I feel that she is too nice, but I don't actually mind getting praise at all. I love getting praise, I admit. I am glad that one of my projects this semester is going so swimmingly. The rest are just barely completed or not getting done at all.

But at least I am still sleeping, and at least I am still having friends and at least my boyfriend is still my boyfriend and at least I still talk to my family even if it is not as often as it should be.

And Thanksgiving? Only 15 days away. I can make it. Yeah.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Candy! Your mom officially rocks. :) Um.....so if I show up in Grantham in the next 24 hours. ;)

Professor Perrin is coolness. And IMNSHO, you do good work.

Anonymous said...

libra, -ae, n.f. -- the Roman pound, of twelve ounces. So when British people were deciding how to abbreviate their currency, they decided that everyone they cared about spoke Latin anyway... (That's not really true, I'm sure; but that is why "pound" is abbreviated "lb.")

jemmo said...

I never knew that. Trust Lucy to have the answers! Also, Thanksgiving is now only, um, six shows, one strike and five days off away. What does that make, like, 11? You can so totally do this!