Tuesday, October 30, 2007

"blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly."


Ah, familiarity. By which I mean: Ah, the familiarity of being up way too late for my mental health working on papers and projects. In one way, this familiarity is actually reassuring, because I finally feel that I am doing my utmost at my work. I can apparently only last so long at subverting my perfectionistic impulses.

On the other hand, there is the pleasant unfamiliarity of having someone help me with my work. For my Advanced 2D Studies midterm, we had to prepare a piece we made this semester for presentation with some kind of shadowbox or frame. Since I'm working on a gigantic installation, it's kind of hard for me to frame something and just stick it up on the wall. But I printed into a shadow box and lined the back of the box with a nice cream paper. I wanted to spray paint the shadowbox black, but because of a 6-8 page paper also due today (which I only started last night), I didn't think I would have time.

Enter Greg, who paints the box black after multiple rounds of problem discovery and solution at the ungodly hour of somewhere past 1 a.m. (I forgot that the inside of the box would have to be painted black, too. But the ink from printing was still wet, so we couldn't lay newspaper inside and spray paint. But we had acrylic paints. But not at the Warehouse. So we went back to the apartment. Then I didn't have a pallette. But Katie had a pallette. The box got painted.)


He probably won't like me talking about it on my blog. But I just wanted to point out how much circumstance affects our vision of a piece. This midterm thing was ugly before it was painted, and much better afterwards. Still, all things considered, it's probably not the greatest midterm presentation ever. I'm just very attached to it because it means that sometimes people will help you out when you really need it (I was able to go to bed at 3 a.m., rather than spending another two hours working on this shadowbox thing or turning in something I strongly disliked).

Also, I am sorry I missed the Chicken Run viewing last night. I hope that it was fun and I wish that I could spend more time just plain hanging out. But apparently I'm sort of bad at time management (in Soviet Union, time manages you).

I'll close with these quotes for your amusement:

"Occular Dalliance"
-Lucy's interpretation of eye flirtation

"sexy chompers"
-an anonymous interpretation of teeth

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of ocular dalliance, what about nictitation? ;-)

Kudos to Greg. He officially gets a gold star.

Liz said...

i love you. i miss you. i'm glad the art thing went well. can't wait for saturday! :) liz