Monday, August 18, 2008

"make awkward sexual advances, not war"

-- Jenn

(Because I can't really condone "free love".)

I just looked at the list of art supplies I'll need for Intaglio printmaking, and I started to hyperventilate and got dizzy. Breathe in, breathe out. Seriously, guys, is there not the Amazon equivalent for used art supplies? Anyone?

Sigh.

I think I'm panicking over more than art supplies, though -- it's everything. Budgeting, yes. Staying alone in my apartment for two weeks. The semester starting so soon. Getting married in 21 weeks and 5 days. In 17 weeks and 3 days I'll graduate but have no job, and in approximately 14 weeks and three days Greg won't have a job either.

It's time to put to work my second Adult Life Lesson: "You can't do it all (even if your mother did) so you better prioritize like hell to maintain (or recover) your sanity."

In this case, first I deal with classes, one assignment at a time. Then panic about a job. Right? Right. Baby steps (sometimes I suspect, though, that my baby steps are heading me straight to the crazy factory).

I also read a very interesting blog post today about the concept of dating your spouse, and why the author of the blog believes more in friend-ing your spouse instead. It was very well-expressed, so I copy a part of it here:

"Of course the romance and sexiness of dating should fold into marriage, but why use 'dating' as a metaphor for intimacy in marriage? In friendship, impression management diminishes, assessment of the other declines, and two selves meet across difference and take delight."
-- Jenell Williams Paris

So, happy Monday. Take it one deep breath at a time.

1 comment:

jemmo said...

I'm famous! I did steal it, though; icanhascheezburger.com featured a picture with that caption a while back. Credit where credit is due.