Wednesday, January 21, 2009

we'll make our homes on the waters, we'll build our walls of aluminum, we'll fill our mouths with cinnamon now.

Well, the nice nails are emphatically flaking, and the honeymoon is over I suppose. It's sinking in that I won't be going home from this vacation – I really live here, and Greg really lives here and we're really married. (I could not have imagined a better wedding, by the way.)

I'm starting to realize, too, that I graduated and that now I have to find a job! I worked a half day today (if I could work from home every day it would be delightful) and Thursday and Friday I'm going in to the office to work. Then I'm done! The business office at the college somehow screwed up my W-9 form, and so I won't get paid at all until February. Which is probably fine. It'll be like I'm getting paid in a month when I don't have work. It's just also massively inconvenient.

But what honeymoon would be complete without a bit of adventure? In addition to spoiling ourselves with nice meals and a visit to Maryland, we experienced massive amounts of adventure (most of it in the last two days, actually).

We bravely sacrificed some of our craft principles and went to Wal-Mart to buy crappy shelves of particle board to put in our house. Silly us, we got the tall bookcases, however. The ones with a “safety strap” that you're supposed to pound into the wall, because the things are massively unstable. Yeah. Those bookshelves. Problem-solvers that we are, we just split them in half, though, so now we have four small shelves that hold their own instead of two big shelves waiting to clobber us.

That means the ol' homestead is looking a lot less cluttered and a lot more like home. Greg bravely tried to build a set of oak bookshelves without a single tool, not even a hammer, not even a screwdriver (my set seems to have gone mysteriously missing during the move). Needless to say, that went on hold when he discovered a few measurements that needed trimming and discovered that some power sanding was required. Um. . . yes. We're figuring that one out. Needless to say, the crappy shelves gave Greg some encouragement that yes, his set of shelves will totally be worth the time.

Yesterday, we also tried to visit Philly to use an Ikea gift card we received. We went to the library to look directions up on the internet, then headed out. An hour and a half later, when we got to the Ikea (after traveling through the decidedly sketchy part of its suburbs), we discovered that I forgot my purse at the library – with the Ikea gift card, my driver's license, and my social security card inside it, not to mention important things like my budget notebook and my day planner. All my debit cards and credit card were, thankfully, safe in my pocket.

So I panicked for a little while and got really angry and generally upset and we started to drive back. I got ahold of the library, though, and they found my purse and promised to hold it behind the desk for me. So we went BACK to Ikea to see if it was even worth a second trip once we'd recovered the gift card.

Ikea is a MAZE. And they sell every tabletop separate from legs and drawers and shelves and things. SO WEIRD. We walked around a ton. We debated for several hours about what to get. When we finally decided, we couldn't find the exit for like ten minutes.

We finally escaped the store and started the drive back to get my purse and some dinner – a full four or so hours after we started our trip.

On the way back, we mysteriously ended up in Delaware. Forty minutes south of where we belonged. So the trip back took nearly 3 hours, instead of the 1 ½ it should have.

On the plus side, when we finally got back to the library, my purse was there with all its contents intact. How lucky is that?

And then we had leftovers and were very grateful not to have to cook after a nearly 7-hour trip.

And then I remembered that it was Aaron's birthday. Woot woot for my favorite 20 year-old!

I know. It sounds so normal, doesn't it? Well, an average sort of vacation for me, anyway. Poor Greg. He didn't know what he was marrying into. =)

It's been immense fun, though, to sit and gorge on books and clean up the house and investigate Italian pastry places and cafes and used bookstores in the city. Ooh, and visit Central Market. I'll write you a whole 'nother post on Central Market. It needs one.

So until next time dear readers, I did not die in the weeks since I have posted last. I just experienced massive amounts of wedding and marriage and adventure.

1 comment:

Lucy said...

Congratulations on bookshelves! (And wedding, and marriage, and adventure.) Sounds like you have navigated with aplomb a number of logistic challenges (not least the mysteriously exit-less IKEA; I DO think they do it on purpose.) Enjoy homesteading... I hope the business office sorts itself out for you.