Thursday, October 23, 2008

so i just realized i've posted 694 times so far.

This one makes it 695. It made me stop and wonder -- what if I had been a webcomic artist instead of a writer? I might well have 695 comic strips to my name. That would've been totally, absolutely rocking.

I mean, not that this blog isn't rocking. . . just not as awesome as awesomely drawn webcomics might be. But I guess I was never a draw-er (I just now realized that draw-er and drawer are spelled exactly the same way. Now I'll never be sure if I'm making drawings or holding clothes).

In good news, however, Daniel says that if I continue with my extra-curricular drawing exercises (bell peppers of the wrinkled and shrunken variety), I could well develop my own economy of mark-making. Which would be super, super exciting. Yes, I need to learn to render, and rendering aids all kinds of other artistic understanding, but my own economy of mark-making? That would be super, super awesome. It's all I've ever wanted. It would mean having the vocabulary to describe whatever I see it in an aesthetically pleasing way that also addresses my visual obsessions and individual perception of the world.

In the difficult news -- well, it's difficult to find time for extra-curricular drawings. But I'll keep at it, and it will be good and rewarding.

Also -- happy birthday, Dad!

No comments: