Tuesday, January 15, 2008

"your hair was long when we first met"

I do love J-term.

Maybe I've said that already, a lot of times. But you know -- maybe it's bitter cold, and maybe the weather has been freakish this year, and maybe I feel like hibernating, but I still love J-term. I get up at a reasonable time of the morning, I work, I go to class, I work some more, I make and eat a leisurely dinner, I socialize, I do some homework, I go to sleep. It sounds so simple. I still spend 9 or 10 hours working a day. But work that I dislike is kept to a minimum, I'm much more focused, and all around much happier.

I feel like part of the reason I haven't been posting as much of actual note lately is because probably a good 50% of my social life involves Greg, and he doesn't like being mentioned in my blog. Nor do I want to be that girl, who talks about her boy all the time to the detriment of her communication with the rest of the world. I understand that the rest of the world is not as enthusiastic about him as I am, nor are they interested in my surprise at having dated him almost a year now. I also understand that the rest of the world is not enthused about the weird proofreading mistake I found the other day while I was at work, or about how much I love the smell of the pine wood I'm carving! In other words, my attempts to keep this from being simply navel gazing make me feel inadquate when I sit down to write! I feel so vehement about these points that I must utilize more exclamation points!

Although I did get this hilarious alumni announcement yesterday. It foretold the end of the world, that J.F.K. would come back as the antichrist, that the next pope would be a false prophet, and that Bush is apparently this rigteous man who will be taken out of the way as it is written in the end times. I laughed, and then I was disturbed. Very disturbed.

I leave you with a Rilke poem which I utterly adore. My new theory is that when Rilke says "a word that grows ripe in silence" (a concept he utilizes frequently), he has a very specific word in mind. As for what that word is -- well, that's part of the mystery, I suppose. But I think, at least in his divine poems, it has something to do with love.

ENTRANCE

Whoever you are: in the evening step out
of your room, where you know everything;
yours is the last house before the far-off:
whoever you are.
With your eyes, which in their weariness
barely free themselves from the worn-out threshold,
you lift very slowly one black tree
and place it against the sky: slender, alone.
And you have made the world. And it is huge
and like a word which grows ripe in silence.
And as your will seizes on its meaning,
tenderly your eyes let it go. . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where did the announcement come from? An alumnus/a who was worried and wanted warn Jesus college?

Btw, it's actually this pope who's supposed to be evil...they must have missed the death of JP2. Seriously...I've heard this one before (and before he died), which is sad.