Thursday, June 05, 2008

yesterday i found out you can order coffins online from costco.

I just laughed a lot, although maybe I should have been appalled.

Greg & I were having a discussion the other day about what things make us feel like we're living a healthy life. For him, healthiness involves a lot of exercise. And I do mean a lot. Walking a mile every day is just the beginning. For me, eating well (taking my time cooking and trying new recipes, using fresh ingredients), sleeping a lot, and having enough time to read, digest, and reflect equal healthiness. Summer is affording us more time to do all of that and even play some video games besides. . . unfortunately it isn't very motivating to me to work on the show pieces for July!

Stephen King, in "On Writing," describes how when he was teaching English his novel-writing nearly came to a halt because so much of his creative energy was taken up by teaching. Whereas when he worked in factories he would write like a fiend in all his spare time. To a lesser degree, I sympathize with him. I like my job at the publications office a lot, but it certainly uses up a lot of my creative energy. It is hard to motivate myself to work on artwork in the evenings, although if I could impose a regular schedule on myself it would probably be better.

Maybe I could steal a sandwich from Lottie over lunch and walk down to the warehouse to spend 45 minutes or so every day working. That would at least help.

Does anyone have suggestions about how to get yourself into a routine, how you slip your work into the cracks in your actual job?

No comments: