Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Peary Manilow visits our office.

Today I have a few great things to bring to you. One is Dan Custer's latest blog post, which is full of puns I happily aided and abetted.

The second is a website called The Morning News. It's a widely varied online magazine -- some things funny, some things wildly inappropriate but funny, some things serious, some personal essays. Very interesting. The kind of thing that makes me want to write a lot of profound or funny things, which makes it a sort of success.

Summer strikes me as good practice for being out in the real world. It's a normal 8-5 job. I'm practicing those skills that will hopefully allow me to keep making work even when I'm grown up and am no longer prompted by project deadlines set by professors. The only thing regulating my development is my own internal drive for either balance or perfection -- equilibrium or change. Weird.

"My little show in July," as I'm calling it (sounds so anti-climactic after "senior show"), is just that -- a cafe in Lebanon, PA, in partnership with the Lebanon Arts Factory, hosts solo exhibitions of local artists every couple of months. They were looking for participants, so Greg & I volunteered to jointly produce 10-15 pieces, which we're hoping to install July 3. We'll have a reception on July 10, but I won't be around because I'll be on family vacation.

I'm taking my ideas about senior show and doing a little twist -- I've been wanting to do figures, lately, I liked printing on clear things, and I found these amazing old photographic slides on glass. So I'm combining all these things at the intersection of shadow boxes -- glass in wood frames about 2.5" from the wall. I'm doing portraits (with Greg as my model) in a really linear fashion in linoleum cuts, and printing them in various shades of transparent colors & grey. Does that make sense? I'll post more information as I have it available. I already have five of them mapped out, which is a great relief. Now I just have to get a move on and produce a lot of things. We'll see how that goes.

And now, I'm off to my regularly scheduled programming (I mean work schedule).

No comments: