Monday, February 04, 2008

and then there were two semesters left. . . .

I've sat and thought and thought about what I should say about my trip to Vassar College. I did, in the end, learn a lot about Elizabeth Bishop. But I had to first learn to decipher her horrific handwriting. No joke. It's worse than mine, even. It's worse than my brothers'. It's worse than anyone I know, except maybe my anthropology teacher's. His might have been on par with EB's.

The weekend really was fantastic. I got used to the general splendor and made fun of everyone who looked posh in my head, so that was alright. Poughkeepsie is kind of a sketch town, though, at least the part of it that we found our way around. The waterfront is lovely, though. The weather was awful. We checked out the surrounding countryside, which seems to include a lot of wineries/vineyards (I learned that they are not exactly the same thing) and ethnic food (mmmm. . . indian and japanese food!).

Ooh! And on the way up to Vassar, we stopped in Scranton. Yes, Scranton, Pennsylvania, home of the Office. We found Poor Richard's Pub, actually, which resides in a bowling alley in a mildly sketch part of Scranton. Those of you who are wild Office enthusiasts will remember that they're always going over to Poor Richard's for drinks or mentioning it and once it actually appears in the show. Unfortunately, it was closed. But we still got a picture of the sign.

Yes, we're nerds. But the funnest kind of nerds, in my opinion.

Of course, I might be biased.

And now? The first day of classes. It feels like the first day of the rest of my execution. Except that my execution will last for another semester after this one yet. Sigh. Hopefully this semester will be calmer, though. . . . hopefully.

OK, loves! Have a good day! Learn lots! Make good choices!

2 comments:

Lucy said...

You ARE the funnest kind of nerds. Looking forward to catching up soon!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that my poor handwriting won't keep me from being a genius writer someday. *whew* I suppose typing is an advantage there too.