Sunday, December 23, 2007

c'e assurdo! ma non c'e problemo, certo! c'e super ganzissimo!

Well, I stepped off the plane and found out it was nearly 60 degrees. It's supposed to be colder for the rest of the week, but still the contrast between balmy Alabama and that epic journey to the Howe family Christmas couldn't be greater.

It hasn't been many times in my life when it's just been my family at home doing Christmas, not traveling somewhere else to visit massive amounts of family. I guess most of those times have been since we moved to Alabama, even. It's harder to think of Christmas when outside it might still be September.

I'm still excited, though.

Being home is really nice. I feel so relaxed, and there is literally nothing I have to get out and do before Wednesday. I mean, I probably will. . . like, go to church this morning. But everything else? There's literally no agenda. I'm confused, bewildered, and inordinately pleased.

I'll probably adopt some minor goals for myself: hit up the library, finish a book, maybe. Play a video game I haven't played in a while. Maybe write a little? Catch up on calling people? Since we have phenomenal long-distance here at the house an' all. Oh, things like wrapping presents, too. And of course make a kick-bum Italian meal for my family. Maybe catch up on watching the 6-hour version of Pride and Prejudice with my mother. I think tonight might be mystery night on TV, though, so we may just watch tons of Agatha Christie mysteries instead.

This is where it becomes an asset to me that I mostly just skipped ahead and read the ends of mystery books -- I'm entertained and surprised by the story just as much as anyone else when it's interpreted for the television. = D

I hope that everyone else made it home safely and is having a lovely relaxed beginning to your Christmas break.

Is it weird that at Christmas I have the urge to say "Christ is risen! -- he is risen indeed!"? I also have the urge to play Christmas music at Easter. I know, I know, laugh because Mackenzie is confused. But really, advent, lent, both 40 days, both celebrating occurrences in the physical incarnate life of Christ. . . .

Buon natale a tutti!

1 comment:

Lucy said...

3 cheers for Agatha Christie binging! And Italian food! And Christmas! And you! :) I got to speak Italian at a party on Friday. It was fun. I thought of you.