Thursday, March 01, 2007

hello loves... from ORVIETO!

My First Orvieto Shower

My first night’s sleep at Orvieto went like a dream. Or it would have, if I had been conscious enough to dream. I did wake up once, when my roommate’s alarm went off, vaguely registering that she had not, in fact, gotten up to take a shower like she had intended, and then I myself passed out, assured that my own alarm would go off half an hour later for my shower.

The temperature in our room is perfect. What I mean is this: when you’re covered in all the heavy down blankets and curled up in bed, the air is pleasantly crisp on my face. Getting out of bed, however, I knew that the cold tile floor waited for me, and although my mom’s slippers (with the leather bottoms) waited right at the edge of my bed, I was loathe to move.

But my alarm went off, just as planned, at 8:30 Italy time - otherwise known as 1:30 a.m. Alabama time - and I began to hear a few mutters as my fellow Orvietani drifted down the corridor toward the refectory. I might miss something, I thought to myself, and that did it. I was wide awake.

I felt a profound sense of disconnection as I sought my clothes for my first real day in Orvieto. What do you wear when as a stranger in a new country, desperately not wanting to offend? Is there a color which says Hi I’m not really an annoying American and I’m trying very hard to be aware and sensitive to your cultural prejudices? Or how about a cut of pants that says Please don’t speak to me, I don’t want to show all my ignorance? Or how about a sweatshirt which says Hey, look at me, I fit in with my American classmates and with the Italian countryside. Look how versatile I am!

Undressing in the tiny 5x5 square which is our bathroom, I began to understand that the air in the convent is cold - around 50 degrees. Well, I thought, probably the water will be hot and everything will be fine. But man, this tile floor is cold.... Just like at home, I disrobed, turned on the water, and leapt in, stealing myself for the few seconds of cold until the hot water kicked in -

it didn’t.

I don’t know the words to convey to you the cold of that first burst of water. I almost shouted. This is going to be the quickest shower of my life. Of all the monastic disciplines I had prepared myself for, holding the freezing cold water over my head and shampooing was not one of them.

I resolved: I am never showering again. If I do, I am going to die of hypothermia.

Thankfully, on my second day in Orvieto, I discovered that when not all 20 people try to shower at the same time, there is hot water. The rule is, though, 5-minute showers. I am going to be so super efficient at getting ready in the mornings!

The cold shower, however, fits right in with our itinerary: on Friday we’re going to Assisi, home of Francis of Assisi, who took a bath in the river every morning even in the winter. Let me tell you, that is some heck of penance.
Lots of love from the fabulous, confusing, overwhelming and fun Orvieto,
Te h Kenzie

6 comments:

Liz said...

Good morning, gorgeous!
Such an articulate post--very fun to hear all about the convent. :) I hope you found the perfect outfit. Who knew we'd someday be exchanging THAT good-luck wish, huh?
I love youuuu!

brenderlin said...

Hooray for Italy! It's funny how even though you were just describing how unbearable your showers were, you were still so excited to be there. You sound like you'll enjoy your semester really a lot.

That's right. Really. A lot.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kenzie, YAY!!!!! I hope you love Assisi. Orvieto sounds awesome... I'm so glad you love it enough already to write about it that way.

And I laughed out loud as I read your description of deciding what to wear... I'm packing, and trying to find those magic cultural-assimilation clothes in MY wardrobe... :) I'll let you know if I find them.

LOVE!!!

Captain Shar said...

Yay! I'm so excited that you're there! Being efficient is good.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Assisi is wonderful! Very much hill walking, though, so be prepared. It made me desperately want to become a nun, because there were so many nuns there. I hope you have fun!

Sorry about the shower, but I'm glad it's not doomed to always be cold.

*hugs*
Ruth

P.S. Really glad to see that you're alive!

Mackenzie said...

Oh... love to all of you. Another post later this week, I promise. I miss you guys, and I hope your semester is going fabulously well.